Wednesday, March 9, 2011

2nd Time is Not a Charm

After a successful 15 month run breastfeeding my first child, I expected things to go well with my 2nd... they didn't. I was cracked and bleeding while still in the hospital. I was in so much pain every time I'd try to get her latched on, that I was happy to try a shield for the first time. It definitely helped and I'm glad for them, but they were also the source of so much frustration.
I read and talked to everyone I could about things to try to get off the shields and everyone from her pediatrician to the LC said I should wean off them as soon as possible.
I tried. Everyday, I tried. And everyday I turned into a sobbing mess because she wouldn't latch and I had to turn to a shield again. I felt like I was trapped since breastfeeding in public is not easy, but it's even harder w/ a shield.

I finally after several weeks found an actual encouraging website and realized that if it wasn't for the shields, she would not be getting any breast milk at all and she was growing wonderfully, so what everyone had said about my supply suffering was not happening at all. I would stick the shield in my bra and go- that took care of where I should put it when I'm out and about.
I am quite sure the only real issue with her was a small mouth because at the ripe old age of 3.5 months, she was being silly and unlatching and looking up at me and smiling over and over. I decided that this was a good time to try my daily no-shield latch attempt. To my surprise she went for it! I knew because of a good run with my older daughter that it would be worth it in the end and sure enough it was all worth it.

She's now over a year and we're still going strong!
Angela
mom of Macy 1 year and Sadie 2.5 years

2 comments:

  1. I breastfeed my little girl with a shield for 10 months due to inverted nipples. I tried to wean her off with no success so we just stuck with it. I always took the view that it was better than not breastfeeding at all. I'm due with another little girl in June and am hoping to do it without the shield this time but if that's what it takes, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great story! I too had problems with my 2nd latching. You feel like number two will be a breeze, but that's not always the case.

    http://milkingtheissue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete