Thursday, November 18, 2010

Just Do It!



Today, I stumbled across this article entitled Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple. The article talked about all the "rules" that have been developed in recent years to help make breastfeeding easier for mother. Hold the baby this way. Move their head like this. Make sure they are latched like this. But in all reality, are the "rules" really helping to make it easier for mothers?

I knew that I wanted to breastfed from day 1 of finding out I was pregnant. I read lots of books on breastfeeding and went to a breastfeeding class. I felt prepared. I was ready to go. BUT then reality hit. When I tried to breastfed my newborn son, in the back of my head, I couldn't get out all the "rules" that I had read about and heard from other mothers. I was getting "rules" thrown at me left and right from nurses and lactation consultants who tried to help.

Kolt and I had our struggles starting out. But I wonder how much of it could have been avoided if I had simply trusted my motherly instinct and breastfed. You see, all our troubles and hardship stopped when one nurse said this, "Stop everything else. Just put him to the breast, and let him breastfeed."

Mothers are made to breastfed. God gave our bodies the ability to nourish a life inside our womb for 9 months and then outside. Perhaps if we forgot all the "rules", relaxed, and just did it, more mother's would be successful at breastfeeding. I am so lucky and blessed to have been able to provide such wonderful nutrition for my son for 11 months and counting!


Marah 23, Mom to Kolt, 11 months

blog: Diary of a Devil Dog Wife
facebook: Facebook
twitter: mmumma

No comments:

Post a Comment